365 Days of Christmas is keeping the spirit alive
all year to enliven your world.




Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Gift of Thoughtfulness


Yes, I'm aware that it's the thought that counts.
But, I am also of the age where I detest clutter. Though, I do enjoy collecting things and even lining up the various tchotkes and other well-intentioned gifts that I have gotten for Christmas. Now, I guess, a part of me has turned into a scrooge because if I get one more body lotion, one more scarf, or one more tea towel, I am going to scream. I do donate these items and feel very good about bringing them to Goodwill.  Please think about sending a simple card before sending me one more bar of soap that I don't need. You see when you give me one of those items then I get the impression that the gift has nothing to do with me and everything to do with your being able to cross me off your checklist.
I, too, have been guilty of picking up five scented candles, four boxes of chocolates, three pairs of generic earrings, two extra scarves, and a dog collar with a dog treat when I get exhausted and simply want to be finished with my gift shopping. These items just simply seem to scream from their cluttered shelves and tables "Grab a few of me and be done with it." Well, this year I am going to resist the temptation of those chaotic tables and shelves and leave extra time to select items that have personal meaning for the people that I give gifts to. I mean, how many scarves can you really wear with the one winter coat? How many tubes of lotion can you stuff into your night table drawers? 
So, join me in this challenge and call to action.

No comments: